What to Do in Amarillo
Whether you’re craving wide open spaces, or you’re looking for a little indoor entertainment, Amarillo has you covered. Explore the city’s vibrant nightlife or get out and discover something beautiful in the great outdoors.
Amarillo Restaurants, Movie Theaters, and Outdoor Adventures
- The Big Texan Steak Ranch Brewery and Hotel: Perhaps the most famous of Amarillo’s Restaurants, The Big Texan is known for its “Steak Challenge.” If you can manage to polish off a 72 oz steak, appetizer, salad, and potato in 1-hour, the meal is free. And, if you need to sleep it off, there are rooms available.
- Palo Duro Canyon: If you’re a fan of hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, or just spending time in one of the most beautiful parks in the U.S. while exploring the second-largest canyon in the country, then Palo Duro should be at the top of your list.
- Texas: The Musical: Fancy an outdoor show? Get the abridged history of Texas in musical form at the open air Pioneer Amphitheater in Palo Duro Park. You can even add a little Texas barbecue if you like!
- Amarillo Opera: Looking for something a bit more refined? The Amarillo Opera has been offering world-class entertainment for more than 30 years in a range of styles.
- The Cadillac Ranch: A kitschy, uniquely American attraction honoring old Route 66 features 10 Cadillac cars half submerged in the Texas clay and decorated by local artists and visitors over the years.
- Don Harrington Discovery Center and Space Theater: The perfect destination for the family or young science enthusiast, the Center is dedicated to all things space and features a number of interactive exhibits.
- Amarillo Botanical Gardens: 4 acres of lush gardens feature native plants, as well as species from as far away as Japan with seasonal themes and guided tours designed to help you understand the garden’s history and appreciate the care with which the collection was assembled.
- Splash Amarillo: What do you do when the day gets too hot? Splashdown in Amarillo’s premier water park featuring a lazy river, water slides, wave pools, and more.
- Cinemark Hollywood: Cinemark is just one of the many Amarillo movie theaters showing the latest films from Hollywood and around the world. Grab a date and catch a movie in the cool air-conditioned space and decompress after a day of touring Sunny Amarillo.
What Do You Do for Fun?
Our list is just a taste of what you can expect when you visit Amarillo. When you’re ready for a taste of adventure, drop by and see our beautiful city with your own eyes. If you’d like to explore further afield, check out our list of the best restaurants in Lubbock, TX! Staying on town? These are our favorite hotels in Amarillo.