How to Tell If Your Car or Truck Needs an Oil Change
Whether you regularly commute between Amarillo and Lubbock or your daily drive only takes you far as Pampa, proper lubrication is essential to your engine’s continued operation. Look for these signs that your car or truck needs an oil change and when it’s time for service, bring it into Brown Automotive Group and let us take care of you.
The 5 Signs It’s Time for an Oil Change
Ideally, you’ll have regular oil changes scheduled at exactly the interval your vehicle’s manual prescribes which is typically every 4,000 to 6,000 miles for new your vehicles and every 3,000 miles for older or high-mileage vehicles. If this isn’t the case, or if you notice any of the following signs, it’s time to schedule an appointment with your local service center to get your oil changed now:
- Black or Gritty Oil. It’s normal for your oil to turn from a light caramel brown to a much darker coffee color over time, but for engines under high stress or heavy use, the oil can turn almost black and become gritty as it gathers particulates from within the engine.These tiny pieces of dirt and debris can act like sandpaper abrading, your vehicle’s delicate interior parts and causing serious damage over time.
- Unusual Sounds. A well-lubricated engine will have minimum noise, but as your engine oil starts to break down, parts begin rubbing together, which can lead to excessive engine noise and wear.
- The Lights Are On. If your check engine or oil lights are on and won’t turn off, it’s time have a technician hook the vehicle up to a diagnostic computer and see what the problem is.
- Burning Oil. Over time, your vehicle uses engine oil, that’s its purpose. A vehicle that is leaking or oil that has broken down and is losing its viscosity will cause the oil levels in your vehicle to drop.
- Sluggish Acceleration. When your engine oil breaks down and stops lubricating interior parts properly, the vehicle can’t respond as readily as it should. This reduced responsiveness results in slower, more hesitant acceleration.
If you notice any of these signs, or if you can’t remember when the last time you changed your oil was, bring it into one of our local service centers and let us take care of the problem for you.
Schedule service of Brown automotive today
Schedule your oil change with our Amarillo service center and know your vehicle is being taken care of right. We can also help you learn more about vehicle care, like how to jump start your car, or when to rotate your tires, at Brown Automotive Group.