How to Prepare Your Pickup Truck for Off Roading
If you’re thinking about taking an off-road adventure, there are a few things you need to do to get your truck, such as the GMC Sierra 1500, ready. Here are a few things to keep in mind to make sure your off-roading explorations don’t leave you stuck in the mud:
- Check your clearance. A low-riding vehicle can get hung up on rocks, boulders, and brush and sustain serious damage on rough roads, so make sure you’ve got enough clearance.
- Get protection. If you plan on doing extreme off-roading, especially on rocky terrain, it’s a good idea to add skid plates to the underside of the vehicle to protect the transfer case and fuel tank.
- Get the right tires. Street tires are great for commuting but not for loose soil, gravel, sand, and mud. Larger off-road tires are designed to handle these conditions and can keep you from getting stuck.
- Consider four-wheel-drive. While two-wheel drive vehicles can manage in certain off-road conditions, four-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive vehicles will provide much better traction if you want to tackle more rugged terrain.
- Reduce your tire pressure. When you’re driving off-road, slightly deflating the tires will improve grip by allowing more rubber to connect with the road.
- Stock up. Make sure that you have the essential equipment just in case something breaks while you’re on your adventure. Extra gallons of fuel, extra water, an air compressor, and basic tools can make a big difference.
- Know your vehicle. Understand what your vehicle is capable of and try a few easy test-runs before tackling any trails. Make adjustments as needed.
- Charge your phone. Before you hit the off-road trails, make sure that your phone is fully charged, and keep a spare charger in your truck. In case of an emergency, you’ll want to be able to make contact.
Find the Right Off-Roading Truck at Brown Automotive Group
Get ready for your next off-roading adventure with a GMC Sierra 1500 from Brown Automotive Group. Contact us today or visit us in Amarillo to test drive this pickup and learn about the buying and leasing options available to you.